Tuesday 5 March 2013

A day in Melbourne, not a walk in the park.

Okay, so we started the day in Melbourne in the Park. The Royal Botanic Gardens in fact.
However, we had some hurdles to overcome before we made it.











We had made our base on the Mornington Peninsula at the Rosebud Foreshore Campground. Very pleasant.



Big cities are often a challenge, especially those you are not overly familiar with. As we started our journey into Melbourne from the Peninsula, I was very proud of myself for bringing my eTag and discovering that it was in fact transferrable to the interstate roads. The first beep was very exciting. The second beep soon after was a slight shock then the third, fourth and so on started me recalculating the budget for our trip. I should have known. I should have also been prepared for the navigational hurdles that can arise in unfamiliar surroundings and I proceeded to have disagreements with my lovely wife along with that thing on the dashboard which seemed to be set on pointing me anywhere but where I wanted to go.

We managed to jag a park in a pretty handy spot and headed into the action. 

Next problem. Six people with six different ideas about what they wanted to see.
Department Stores

Alleyways

Catching a tram

Seeing a Tall Ship

Well I was stupid enough to think it could work.

Alas , we headed back to the Peninsula and found ourselves justifying our first restaurant meal for the trip. Our usual fall back, the local Chinese Restaurant. Very welcome.

We spent the next couple of days taking in the sights of the Mornington Peninsula .

Our favourites were Portsea and Sorrento. They are probably glad to see the back of us. In my rabid pursuit of some decent surf one morning I nearly took out a nice looking Beamer with the Troopy. We looked out of place in a very upmarket looking area. Apparently a popular playground for Melbourne's wealthy for many years and I can see why. Very nice.

Now we are camped near Bright in the heart of Victoria's Alps. A beautiful change of scenery.
Off to the NSW Alps next, then home for a few days before heading north.











No comments:

Post a Comment